Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Thoughts on Inauguration Day

I have seen people say they are proud to be Americans for the first time in 8 years. That statement makes me a little queasy. Who the president is has nothing to do with my gratitude for this country. The freedom of speech, religion, and press are the most vital aspects of this country.

Obama said we must start today to "remake America." What will be his template? I will agree that government does not work. If he really ends programs that don't work I will rejoice. If the government really starts doing business in the light of day, it will be a miracle. Obama's greatest obstacle to that will the the Reids, Pelosis, Franks, and the rest of Congress. Like he will stand up to them.

Obama says good things about standing up to terrorists: "We will defeat you." Good. I hope he takes that seriously. "People will judge you for what you can build, not what you can destroy." I like that line.

Obama issues a call to service akin to the sacrifice of those who lie in Arlington Cemetery. I appreciate his words about the Founding.

Overall, I thought it was an ok speech. But for all those people who think all our problems are supposed to be over now, there will be massive disillusionment. Things aren't going to change quickly.

No comments: